ESOMAR Global Market Research 2009
Ok, I know we are qualitative and are supposed to hate numbers. But, don’t you ever wonder how big our industry is? Don’t you ever want the numbers? I do. So, I looked it up in the recently released ESOMAR report. Here are the numbers. Its quantitative but hang in there. I’ll keep it short!
Here are the global numbers:
- Global Research Spending: $32.462 billion
- Percent Qualitative Spending: 14% (9% group, 3% IDI, 2% other)
- Global Qualitative Spending: $4.545 billion
Now here are the numbers for the top 5 countries (Total spending, % qualitative, Total Qualitative Spending) in millions.
- United States ($8,866, 15%, $1,330)
- United Kingdom ($4.154, 10%, $415)
- Germany ($3.334, 7%, $233)
- France ($3.042, 15%, $456)
- Japan ($1.643, 15%, $246)
Add these up and you find that the top 5 markets in the world account for $2.68 billion in qualitative spending or 59% of the world’s qualitative spending.